Saturday, October 13, 2007

'Pointing' A Taxi Driver to Jesus!



Josh and I decided to go for a walk to the nearby shopping 'mall' this morning (Sat. morning). It is about a mile or so walk. We walked a long way to get there. I was tired so we got a coke after walking around a bit.

As we started to walk back we decided to take a 3 wheel taxi back. So we went up to a bunch of taxi guys and asked if any spoke English.
See picture of Josh in front of the taxis. One guy spoke some and so we asked how much it would cost to take us about 1-2 kilometers in a certain direction. I told him we could give verbal directions, but we didn't know the address of where we are staying...anyway...the short of a long story is that he said yes for 100 ruppies (about 2 dollars). We agreed (sounded like a cheap way to not irritate anything) so we got in.

It was a bumpy road. When we got to the CCC compound, I paid him the 100 ruppies and gave him a 10 ruppie tip (I had told him I was a Christian and we were staying at the 'church')...he looked at me and started to hand the 10 ruppies back to me. But I said, "No, for you a tip, thank you for taking us."

The look on his face when I told him to keep the tip was priceless. I really believe he was ashamed he had taken me--I found out from one of the students standing there at the CCC compound when we arrived that normally it would cost 25 ruppies. So he had already "taken" a 75 ruppies tip and then I added 10 ruppies more--I think it pricked his conscience.

I hope the Lord in some small way works my generous act into his life. Anyway it was a fruitful morning.

No comments: