Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Training Continues

Josh and I have found the men at our second location a joy to serve. Ranchi is much more rural than our first location. It feels much like the city of Rochester in comparison to our first city being like Minneapolis. I had the joy of teaching all day yesterday. It was a solid day. We covered a lot of great truths from Scripture, reviewing often so the men could internalize what we had discussed. I continue to challenge the men to learn the Bible references for all the major thoughts that we are learning. The impact of discipling is much less when it is not tied directly to the words of Scripture. They are memorizing three verses so far: 2 Tim. 3:16-17, Rom. 1:20, and Matt. 28:19-20. Today (Wed), we begin two new doctrines: Christology (Jesus Christ) and Pneumatology (Holy Spirit). Josh is teaching the first and I the second. Lord willing, we will take two days on these two doctrines.

Yesterday, the Lord led me to supplement my teaching on His attributes with Biblical instruction on parenting, disciplining, marriage, ways to teach grace/mercy, three passions in life and the book of Jonah. I really enjoy experiencing the Spirit’s directing of my mind to some practical teaching for life as we are talking through these important Biblical themes. I am exhorted and reminded and often am humbled and led to repentance in my own heart as the Spirit leads our discussion through these different areas of our lives.

Our translator here translates differently than most we have had so far. He translates ideas, not words. Thus, he wants us to give several sentences at once and then he speaks the idea to the men, not our actual statements. There are positives and negatives to this approach. Josh and I are adjusting to his style.

I have been thankful for those of you who have been reminded of the Lord to pray for Josh and I as we serve here. We have both been healthy and excited for being here and humbled by the opportunity of impacting generations of people who not yet even believers in Christ. It is an awesome reality!

I have not met any of the men from last year. I am saddened by this, but totally understand. Last year’s class was a very strong class (spiritually and in maturity) that the leadership here has sent these men in pairs to some of the most difficult and remote areas of this state. I often think about how life is for them—basic, hard, and I am sure often tempting to give up as they plow, water and plant the seed of the GOSPEL in people’s lives in these hard places. I have not heard of any direct persecution, though a team of leaders here are going to visit four of the men who are in the hardest place to pray and to encourage and to do outreaches in their fields. Pray for them!

Again, thank you for praying for God’s work here. May the LORD Jesus be your joy today as you walk with Him by His grace in the strength of His Spirit for His glory and your happiness.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Kevin wrote about the wedding he attended: "It reminded me of what it will be like when I am before Jesus Christ some day—His face beaming towards me as the groom was beaming towards his bride and her shy, yet excited happy look will be like ours as Christ’s bride. What a day that will be"

That caused me to picture how it will be when we stand before Jesus as "His Bride". Yes that will be a glorious day! Come Lord Jesus!

Love and Blessings,
Mom C